The TG-5 was a three-seat high-wing glider based on the Aeronca Model 65TAC Defender military training aeroplane (from which the series of Aeronca O-58/L-3 Grasshopper observation and liaison aircraft were also developed).
This training glider was constructed in May 1942, retaining the O-58's rear fuselage of a welded steel tube construction, wooden wings and tail surfaces, while adding a new front fuselage with greenhouse cabin in place of the engine. Three seats in tandem were fitted and a revised landing gear was installed.
The TG-5s were utilised for the military glider pilot training programme and were flown both by the Air Force and civil gliding and soaring schools on contract by the Army. In total, Aeronca built 250 TG-5 gliders for the USAAF, while the US Navy received three as the LNR-1.